Although officially formed in 1987, IPRT’s roots go back much further. One of its precursors was the Institute for Atomic Research, was founded in 1947. It provided Iowa State University with a way to support the Ames Laboratory while enhancing the university’s mission. Moreover, several of IPRT’s centers, including the Microelectronics Research Center, Center for Nondestructive Evaluation, and Materials Preparation Center, were formed in the 1980s, before IPRT came into existence.
In 1987, Robert Hansen, director of the Ames Laboratory and the Energy and Mineral Resources Research Institute, worked with U.S. Rep. Neal Smith to secure funding for IPRT. “What we wanted to do was to take basic science and move it so it is useful to the community,” Hansen said. Initial centers include Ames Laboratory, Center for Coal and the Environment, Center for Nondestructive Evaluation, Microelectronics Research Center, Rare-earth Information Center and theMaterials Preparation Center. Michael Crow served as director starting in 1988.
IPRT’s committment to education was shown in 1990, when it helped found the Science Bound program.
The Barton Years
From 1997 to 2007, Tom Barton, an Iowa State chemistry professor, served as director of both IPRT and the Ames Laboratory. During this time, IPRT added the Midwest Forensics Research Center, the Center for Catalysis and theCenter for Building Energy Research to its roster of research centers. Barton also consolidated various programs into IPRT Company Assistance to better serve Iowa companies.
Into the Present
In July 2007, George Kraus, an Iowa State chemistry professor, was named IPRT director. He began the Information Assurance Center in 2010.