The IPRT Research Cost-Sharing program is available to Iowa companies for pursuing research conducted at Iowa State University. The program, offered through IPRT Company Assistance and funded by the state, provides an effective yet inexpensive way to access the facilities, expertise and knowledge of the faculty and professionals working at Iowa State.
- Company with R&D or production operation in Iowa
- Project should be applied R&D effort in one of the following areas:
- Product development/improvement
- Process development/improvement
- Manufacturing problem-solving
- Company must contribute cash match toward research costs – no match against federal or state flow-through funds.
- Projects are intended to have a measurable commercial impact for the company.
Company Size: Special Requirements
- Small, under 20 employees: A range of 1:1 to 3:1 cash match from IPRT CA (by Iowa code). To be considered for greater than 1:1 match, company must be technology-based business incorporated for 5 years or less.
- Medium, 21-99 employees: Up to 1:1 cash match from IPRT CA
- Large, 100-499 employees: Limit projects to areas outside focus of company’s in-house R&D staff; up to 1:1 cash match from IPRT CA.
- Extra-Large, 500+ employees: No projects
Project Size and Budget
- Total direct cost under $65K (direct + F&A under $100K)
- $20K minimum project size
- IPRT contribution range $5K - $25K ($15K average)
- Facilities and Administrative (F&A or indirect) cost rate of 26% applied to company funds. F&A costs are subsidized by the State of Iowa through Iowa State University.
- Follow the Proof of Concept Initiative application process.
- Use the Proof of Concept Initiative Application (PDF)
- Use the IPRT Cost-Sharing Research Budget (Excel)